Our product has been designed with the aim of providing a digital interface to view and edit tax records of individuals.
The major functionalities and features are as follows:
- Users of this system are able to view all their current tax records (land-tax, income-tax and vehicle-tax for now) in a completely digital form.
- The admin interface allows government officers to add new users, and fill in their initial profiles.
- The admins also provide the users with a login details
- Adding, deleting and modifying of tax-data.
We use a No-SQL database : Cloud Firestore which stores data in documents arranged in collections.
- Simple data is stored in documents, which is easy and similar to the way data is stored in JSON.
- Complex, hierarchical data is conveniently organized at scale using subcollections within documents.
- requires less denormalization and data flattening.
- dont need to write deep queries; instead of an entire collection or entire document, we can query subcollections within a document in Cloud Firestore.
- query performance is proportional to the size of your result set, not your data set.
General public will be able to view their tax records through the web, while admins in offices can modify the public records related to tax along with their personal details. Being a web app users can easily use our app by connecting through the internet.
Since the use of NoSQL, for any individual user a different kind of data than another user can be stored for that user
Cloud Firestore doesnt require sharding/partioning across mulitple instances, so is automatically scalable for growing user base. The database is a NoSQL based solution, hence horizontal scaling is possible.
Due to the way we designed our product, it is capable of being scaled to various administrative levels. Our aim is to implement it in every ward office with computer equipment (for admin control and user data upload) of the country.
Users can access their information from across the globe.
Bhoo.me is a land title exchange workflow tool with following features
Different permission and roles for users/entities (जग्गा धनी, Buyer, नापी बिभाग, नगरपालिका, मालपोत, and Bank) - access control list
Land can be registered in the system
Transfer of land process with approval/reject feature for different users/entities
The land transfer doesn’t initiate when land is collateral
Buyers seek a more transparent way to validate the ownership of a particular parcel of land. Governments look to reduce the costs associated with monitoring, updating, and validating the property ownership records.
Bhoo.me utilizes blockchain to verify land ownership in the registry process. Blockchain is an incorruptible distributed digital ledger of economic transactions that can be programmed to record not just financial transactions but everything of value like land title records. Bhoo.me will make digital land transfer process more robust and rigid. This makes Bhoo.me -
Digital ledger: Bhoo.me keeps a digital record of land as compared to physical paper.
Immutable: Once the land record is stored in blockchain it cannot be changed. In case of human error, while recording the transaction, one can always add up and amend for the mistake but the history of the original transaction will always remain in the block.
Transparent: Bhoo.me will make the transfer process transparent and auditable.
Bhoo.me has user role to manage app permission for different entities/users. We have utilized Bootstrap theme for more user-friendly and intuitive UX/UI.
One of the major benefits of the product is efficiency the system brings in the land transfer process due to use of Hyperledger. The process can be automated, and costs can be drastically reduced while the number of parties involved reduced. The immutable and transparent nature of land record ownership will reduce dispute among the various stakeholders.
We want to conduct proof of concept within certain ward in Kathmandu. Then conduct with marginalized groups beyond the valley.
We had applied to Smart Urban Technical Challenge so that Bhoo.me can be implemented without friction. For proof of concept, we will be choosing and implementing specific ward in Kathmandu or create demo application with dummy data to showcase Bhoo.me.
- Our system generates house number smartly under the designated criterion with the user’s geolocation data.
- Our system provides users with geotagged information for the provided house-number.
- Our system will maintain database smartly which can be used for services involving digital map or geotagged information.
-writable complete address that incorporates house number information
- User-centric design for B2C.
- Intuitive house number generation for B2B services
- Customized/tailored service for the various Business requirement.
The following will be the sequence of scaling our technology to generate the house number:
House address generation for a house-> House address generation for a ward-> House address generation for the municipality.
Technically the same algorithm can be looped in to generate the house number for any municipality or city. So the same product can be deployed in other cities of Nepal like Pokhara/Butwal. To attract users we plan to advertise our product to the potential users of other geographies.
Kathmandu Municipality inside Ring Road
Following are the overall features and functionalities of our prototype:
Immutable database using Distributed Ledger Technology(DLT)
Transparent system / Corruption control
Automation of manual works(such as for verification process in government and banking side using smart contract)
Real-time land transaction tracking
Real-time land tax tracking
Government verification system before any transaction of land which is missing in the current workflow
Removes most of the dependency with brokers
Saves time and cost during the transaction of land
Field verification of land via government / legal support for users
Following are the innovative technical features that have been implemented in our prototype:
- Distributed Ledger Technology(Blockchain) for immutable land records
Single source of truth (SSOT) for sharing data with concerned parties (Government, Bank, Courts)
Automation of various tasks(verification part of the government, banks) using smart contract.
The tracking system of each and every transaction that occurs with sufficient data.
Multi-layer access and role system.
Following are the main technical features of our prototype that will make it useful to our target audience:
Record verification system by government
Field verification system by government
Transparency : Immutable database that can track every transactions details
Automation, less paperwork, fast transaction and cheap
- The pilot project in small space
- Module framework of the verification system
- Testing of outcomes can be applied in
- Vehicle management
- Health sector
- Real estate
- Platform for buying/selling land
- Replacing land brokers
Our prototype is mainly intended for Kathmandu Metropolitan City at the moment, especially for “Land Department” of “Ministry of Land Management, Cooperatives and Poverty Alleviation”.
The key features of our product is as follow:
Intercommunication between different departments
- Different government departments (for example: Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport, Ministry of water supply, etc.) can interact with each other to know about their individual plans and projects to make it successful with each others support.
Mobile application for citizens
- Citizens can easily know about the current government plans and policies for the development of various sectors through mobile based applications and also give suggestions, reviews or complaints about related matter for that particular department. They can also view information for example, budget allocation for a project.
Web based application for government departments
- Governmental departments can easily communicate with the citizens for fulfilling their needs and request about the activities that departments are carrying out. Based on the response of the citizens, government can take effective decisions and actions for the development of a particular place.
User-focused interfaces and application
- One of the perspectives of our product's services is a personalized interaction between the department and the user
- Whether this is an interactive project onto the floor for citizen to interact with, digital exhibitions featured on screens, big screens in government department that can be used to offer different kinds of information and also inspire users to find certain related matter for using technology to create a digital experience for the user.
Complaining about the issues faced
- A user/citizen can cast their complain related to a particular ministry of department. While other people can also up vote the complain and make it an issue for which the department has to give a major priority, and response accordingly.
Problem discussing forum
- Citizens can inquire about different governmental related questions and confusion for which a mentor(who will be a government officer) will respond to clear their doubts
View the ongoing activities and budget allocated
- The citizens can view the ongoing projects and the progress up to date through the mobile application. The citizens can also participate in the developmental activities viewing new upcoming plans. They can also view the budget used for a project.
- Audience can up-vote the plan appropriately on the basis of which high priority will be given the highest voted plan. The citizens can also participate in the developmental activities viewing new upcoming plans and up-vote the plan appropriately on the basis of which high priority will be given the highest voted plan.
Complaining about the problem faced
- Citizens can also complain anonymously. They can involve themselves in an open discussion forum where most mentors will be different government officers. Citizen who have been actively involved in the discussion either by complaining or by giving suggestions will be given points or stars.
We have key partners in our product as follows:
- College Of Applied Business, Gangahiti, Chabahil,Kathmandu
- Nepal Mega School, Anamnagar, Kathmandu
- Lyceum Model School, Chabahil,Kathmandu
Through social medias
- We will use different social medias such as Facebook advertising, creating pages, etc, to catch the attention of huge number of users. This way we can have a large number of users,
Social awareness programmes
- By conducting seminars and workshops together with government units, we can create awareness among general users and also impart the knowledge about how one can make optimal use of the application.
Uploading android application to the Google Play Store
- Once we have our application uploaded in Google Play Store, general users can easily download and give feedback about the application.
- If general users get chance to interact face to face with governmental units and the developers, they become more open and tend to asks questions without any hesitation.
We intend to user our product in the departments of Kathmandu Metropolitan primarily. This way we'll be able to get feedback from the department and make necessary improvement in the system if necessary. On the other hand, as we have already mentioned, there is no specific region that we target but this system can be implemented by any state government in national or international level.
The overall features and functionalities of our product includes:
‘The Interface’ is a web based project management software platform inherently built to function well with government norms and system.
A core tool for the municipality, that can coordinate between different departments of the government in order to minimize negative feedback of development and maximize the potential whilst reducing the cost and preventing effort duplicacy.
Suppose, the Kathmandu municipality plans to undertake a project to graphically visualize all the households with their coordinates from one software company. Another software exists in the road division that has a graphical layout of existing roads and many more features. Similarly, in order to plan in a sustainable way, our planning agencies require a tool in order to graphically view the resources(drainage, drinking water supply line, electricity, telephone, internet wires, etc.) In order to plan in a sustainable way, we need a tool that can graphically show every resources in one place, or selectively, as per requirement. The interface provides a vision to implement that concept in a futuristic model.
Today, even a responsible person for municipal committee is unaware of any development project happening anywhere in his area. This is because there is a lack of communication or lack of information flow between respective department of the government. All in all, we lack a system to organize projects. Even if two projects of the same department overlap each other at certain places, there is no effective way of coordination. The interface aims to solve that in a way which creates motivation in the departments itself. This won’t just impact the livelihood of denizens, but also minimizes the pollution caused due to unplanned roadside excavation.
The key features of the prototype are:
A generic showcase of above features.
A dashboard with map on which different project outlines can easily be seen. Different departments are provided with different color so that it will be easier to collaborate and see if the projects intersect or any innovation can be done based on the requirements. This also contains pointers on the map which shows the project code and the short title of the project.
A showcase of how notifications can be sent to/ received by the departments with whom projects can be collaborated.
A showcase which shows the analytic data of how ‘The Interface’ is functioning and how each departments have been collaborating with each other.
A showcase in text form of how project details are input and approval system based on their location and priority.
A collaboration overview screen that shows how two or more projects/ departments have collaborated (green for ones who are actively working & yellow for the ones who are to work on the same resource after the green ones are done), their design plans and thumbnail of their map, exact location of the coordination, description and expected completion date of coordination.
An online record of all projects(running, collaborated and archived) in a user friendly way.
Along with above features, we aim to provide following additional features in our final product:
We will provide an internal communication channel ( messaging channel) in order to share confidential documents, collaborate timelines and communicate any problems that occur or may occur.
We will provide specific outlines for collaboration based on further research and requirements.
We will provide an easy way to provide a feedback to us in order to suggest what any user might need to make the product even better.
We will provide an easy FAQ section to guide on how to make most use of the software.
We will provide a language support in order to make users feel more comfortable to share their experiences or operate throughout the country.
We will provide user authentication system in order to prevent issues that might be created due to unauthenticated usage.
We will work on to continuously make the task of users easier, minimum time on subjective detail entry and maximum value generation based on continuous research and brainstorming.
The concept of creating a core tool for municipality in order to sync everything at one place is one of the many new concepts we have introduced here.
Similarly, we’ve managed to find out nearby projects using an algorithm that we’ve personally devised. This will help users to realize about the resources of different departments before beginning to operate at the place. For example, a new road division employee will know about underground network of drainage even before excavation with this algorithm.
Also, we’ve also devised a way to predict the tentative point of intersection between two projects by harnessing the potential of machine learning. Every coordinates entered will act as the points of a 2D equation. These will help us create matrices upon which our algorithm will operate to find approximate geo-coordinates where two or more projects can overlap. This will help users to know where their projects overlap and where they can coordinate to make a combined effort.
One stop solution for integrated overview of multiple projects overtaken
There are many departments under the control of local government. These departments have multiple projects of their own and they do not have an effective way of collaboration; one that can be strategically implemented and can be easily addressed. ‘The Interface’ provides one stop solution to view multiple projects that overlap with each other or can be collaborated in order to make strategic developments in Nepal. Every departments will be assigned one color when adding a new project in the map. This will make it easy for superlative department to see and make strategies and suggestions based on the project drawings from these departments. Also, the departments will be provided with suggestion system that will suggest what other projects are being currently undertaken and if their location or timeline overlaps with their projects.
Easy user experience
The application will be easy to use with a clean user interface design. The users can easily find out about the features and actions to be performed only by looking at the user interface. We’ve also tried to utilize the benefit of existing software/applications our users are familiar with. For example, profile of the department, notification is all similar to the most used sites in Nepal.
The user will also have an option to choose the language they are comfortable with. Considering the diverse ethnicity and languages spoken in our country, we believe that language barrier should not provide any form of obstruction in using the tool.
Instead of giving users plethora of options and use cases, we’ve repeatedly worked on to provide minimal options and generate maximum usability.
In order to scale up and support huge user base, we plan on providing language support for multiple languages(nepal bhasa, maithili, bhojpuri, nepali, etc.) based on the requirements.
We want to provide this solution to every municipal entity(गाउँपालिका, नगरपालिका, उपमहानगरपालिका र महानगरपालिका). This can be done by providing a central database. Also, this can be helpful to later cater the service on need basis to state government and central government for planning and development needs.
In order to cater the needs of state government/ central government, we may have to change the way of perceiving our data in order to plan for future. We may have to provide an option for live satellite imagery in order to visualize the changing geographical status and plan accordingly. This could help planning agencies to think beforehand about what preventive measures to undertake if glaciers burst (due to global warming), if any innovation can be done to divert the water flow in order to fulfill the demand of water in irrigation lacking areas, if any project of national importance can be implemented remaining within the system by coordinating between respective departments without delay(because of internal messaging channel and notification system), etc.
The integral part of successful implementation or evaluation of efficacy of a product is measured with the analytics of how well the product is being utilized. We plan on actively working on the analytics of this product, figure out the pain points, work rigorously in order to produce a better result.
Geography has minimal role for applying this project.